PDA

Ver la versión completa : I need to practice my english. We can help each other.

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 12:31
Hi, people.

I'll go to England in November and I need practise my English. I think that practise here, writing in English about our filosofy of life is interesting. We can do it using this post for write whatever we want in English, we can share mails for chat or another things.

See you!

______

Hola, gente.

Iré a Inglaterra en noviembre y necesito practicar mi inglés. Pienso que practicar aquí, escribiendo en inglés sobre nuestra filosofía de vida es interesante. Podemos hacerlo usando este post para escribir cualquier cosa que queramos en inglés, podemos compartir mails para chat u otras cosas.

¡Nos vemos!

oriola
04-sep-2012, 13:37
I strongly recommend you to create an account in an english-speaking vegan or vegetarian forum. I'm sure you'll find more participation there and so you'll be able to practise more. Anyway, I don't mind to take part in this thread and talk to you.

Why are you going to England? How long will you stay?

By the way, it's "I need to practise..."

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 13:47
I strongly recommend you to create an account in an english-speaking vegan or vegetarian forum. I'm sure you'll find more participation there and so you'll be able to practise more. Anyway, I don't mind to take part in this thread and talk to you.

Why are you going to England? How long will you stay?

By the way, it's "I need to practise..." Thank you for your tips! Probably I'll create an account in an english forum. Anyway I think that is good this post because in an english forum the people use a coloquial language, contractions, gramatical errors... For start is a crazyness I suppose.

See you!

PD: Can somebody change the title? (By the way, it's "I need to practise...")

oriola
04-sep-2012, 13:50
Thank you for your tips! Probably I'll create an account in an english forum. Anyway I think that is good this post because in an english forum the people use a coloquial language, contractions, gramatical errors... For start is a crazyness I suppose.

See you!

You're wellcome!

I hope more people will join this thread soon.

So, won't you explain your trip to England? I'm curious about it. I have a friend living and working in London actually. He's been there for several months so far, and he's happy he left Spain.

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 13:52
You're wellcome!

So, won't you explain your trip to England? I'm curious about it. I have a friend living and working in London actually. He's been there for several months so far, and he's happy he left Spain. Oh! sorry, I forgot it. I want to go to Bristol to looking for a job. (:eing: is this sentence correct?)

oriola
04-sep-2012, 13:57
Oh! sorry, I forgot it. I want to go to Bristol to looking for a job. (:eing: is this sentence correct?)

I want to go to Bristol to look for a job.

Why Bristol and not London instead?

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 14:02
I want to go to Bristol to look for a job.

Why Bristol and not London instead? Because I know friends in Bristol and they will help me (they are helping me now in fact).

Dethvader
04-sep-2012, 14:03
"We can help each other"
"to write whatever we want"

;)

oriola
04-sep-2012, 14:04
Great! It will be easier that way. Are they Spanish emigrants as well?

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 14:05
"We can help each other"
"to write whatever we want"

;) Thank you, dude!

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 14:06
Great! It will be easier that way. Are they Spanish emigrants as well? Yes they are. I am happy for try it, change a bit my life... you know (How do you say "cambio de aires" in English?).

nessie
04-sep-2012, 14:14
Yes they are. I am happy for try it, change a bit my life... you know (How do you say "cambio de aires" in English?).

"change of pace"

I would say: I'm happy about it /about that change of pace.

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 14:21
"change of pace"

I would say: I'm happy about it /about that change of pace. Thank you! :)

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 14:23
Oriola ¿what is the objective of the VHEMT? ¿Complete extincion or drastic reduction? I think that it is so curious.

oriola
04-sep-2012, 14:28
Oriola ¿what is the objetive of the VHEMT? ¿Complete extincion or drastic reduction? I think that it is so curious.

The objective of the VHEMT is the extinction, of course :p

But you can support a drastic reduction of the human population and don't have children as well. So from the practical point of view it's the same.

It would be absurd to believe that everybody in the world will follow this movement. So either you support the extinction or just a population decrease, don't breed! The total impact of your decision will be the same (because we're a minority).

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 14:33
The objective of the VHEMT is the extinction, of course :p

But you can support a drastic reduction of the human population and don't have children as well. So from the practical point of view it's the same.

It would be absurd to believe that everybody in the world will follow this movement. So either you support the extinction or just a population decrease, don't breed! The total impact of your decision will be the same (because we're a minority). Ah! I understand. Ok. It's interesting to me because I thougt in many occasions don't have children, maybe adopt because we are too people in the world and the world isn't infinity and there are too many children that need somebody, so...

oriola
04-sep-2012, 14:35
You should read the arguments exposed in the VHEMT web. Maybe in English so you can practice while you read about this movement.

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 14:42
You should read the arguments exposed in the VHEMT web. Maybe in English so you can practice while you read about this movement. I am doing it since your first post in this treath. ;)

nessie
04-sep-2012, 14:49
Ah! I understand. Ok. It's interesting to me because I thougt in many [U]occasions don't have children, maybe adopt because we are too people in the world and the world isn't infinity and there are too many children that need somebody, so...

Since the aim of this topic is to learn english (and at the risk of being taken as a pedant), I think there are several things in this paragraph that you should correct.

I would say:
"It's interesting to me because in many occasions I've thought about not having children and maybe adopting them instead, because we are too many people in the world and the world isn't infinite. And there are too many children that need somebody, so... "

I can also be wrong, of course. I would gladly admit corrections.

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 14:51
Since the aim of this topic is to learn english (and at the risk of being taken as a pedant), I think there are several things in this paragraph that you should correct.

I would say:
"It's interesting to me because in many occasions I've thought about not having children and maybe adopting them instead, because we are too many people in the world and the world isn't infinite. And there are too many children that need somebody, so... "

I can also be wrong, of course. I would gladly admit corrections. No, no! you are not a pedant, you are right. Thank you for your corrections. :)

nessie
04-sep-2012, 14:53
Shall I correct the topic title? It could say: "I need to practice my english. We can help each other."

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 14:53
Shall I correct the topic title? It could say: "I need to practice my english. We can help each other." Yes. How can I change it?

Ok I leave the computer.

See you!!!

nessie
04-sep-2012, 14:59
Yes. How can I change it?

Ok I leave the computer.

See you!!!

I'll do it ;)

oriola
04-sep-2012, 15:03
Do you know Vaughan Radio? http://www.vaughanradio.com/

Dethvader
04-sep-2012, 15:03
The verb is "to practise".

http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/practice_practise.htm

nessie
04-sep-2012, 15:06
The verb is "to practise".

http://www.grammar-monster.com/easily_confused/practice_practise.htm

I think both are correct: http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=practice (at least in British english).

Walkiria
04-sep-2012, 15:08
Do you know Vaughan Radio? http://www.vaughanradio.com/

Richard Vaughan is an alien. Creepy.

Dethvader
04-sep-2012, 15:25
I think both are correct: http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=practice (at least in British english).

According to the link you posted "to practise" is the correct verb in British english and "to practice" is the American english spelling.

nessie
04-sep-2012, 15:27
According to the link you posted "to practise" is the correct verb in British english and "to practice" is the American english spelling.

That's what I intended to say.

oriola
04-sep-2012, 15:27

http://www.world-english.org/practise_practice.htm

Gatos.urbanos
04-sep-2012, 19:34
Hi Metódico!!

I don´t mind helping you out with your English. Contact me any time.

Crisha
04-sep-2012, 19:41
You're wellcome!

So, won't you explain your trip to England? I'm curious about it. I have a friend living and working in London actually. He's been there for several months so far, and he's happy he left Spain.

Well, if we are going to correct each other (something I strongly recommend): it's welcome (no double l) :P
And "actually" is a false friend here... maybe "currently", "right now", "now" would be better ¿? ;)
And perhaps "...currently living and working..." I think adverbs are usually placed before the main verb.

Nice thread :) However, I think Oriola is right and it might also be useful for you to join some other kind of community as well. You can also try to find some English speaking pubs or cafes in your area; typical places where Erasmus fellows meet. At least in Madrid it's not unusual to have a few of these pubs around the city ;)

Crisha
04-sep-2012, 19:43
"It's interesting for me" :)

oriola
04-sep-2012, 19:44
Well, if we are going to correct each other (something I strongly recommend): it's welcome (no double l) :P
And "actually" is a false friend here... maybe "currently", "right now", "now" would be better ¿? ;)

Nice thread :) However, I think Oriola is right and it might also be useful for you to join some other kind of community as well. You can also try to find some English speaking pubs or cafes in your area; typical places where Erasmus fellows meet. At least in Madrid it's not unusual to have a few of these pubs around the city ;)

Thanks for the corrections, you're right! :corte:

Crisha
04-sep-2012, 19:45
Richard Vaughan is an alien. Creepy.

My boyfriend says that if he hadn't become an English teacher, he would have been a serial murderer :D
However the methodology they use is very good.

Erinna
04-sep-2012, 19:47
You're wellcome!

Actually, darling? are you sure? :bledu:

EDITION: I didn't see Crisha's post, sorry

Crisha
04-sep-2012, 19:47
Thanks for the corrections, you're right! :corte:

I've made some more!!! I have edited my post :D
No ashamed faces, please... we are all learning!!!!

Erinna
04-sep-2012, 19:51
I've made some more!!! I have edited my post :D
No ashamed faces, please... we are all learning!!!!

As I always say to my students "mistakes are to learn from".

We must not say every mistake is a foolish one.
Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC)

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 21:21
Hi Metódico!!

I don´t mind helping you out with your English. Contact me any time. Thanks :)

I like this treath! I went to work and when I arrive... four pages! Incredible. :)

Erinna
04-sep-2012, 21:53

I like this treath! I went to work and when I arrive... four pages! Incredible. :)

Mind your spelling! Is written "thread"
You should rethink the use of these tenses ;)

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 21:55

You should rethink the use of these tenses ;) Arg, I don't undertand. Where is the error? I mean: "me encanta este treath, fuí a trabajar y cuando llego... cuatro páginas!"

Thank you in advance. :)

Erinna
04-sep-2012, 22:06
Arg, I don't undertand. Where is the error? I mean: "me encanta este treath, fuí a trabajar y cuando llego... cuatro páginas!"

Thank you in advance. :)

Mind your spelling! Is written "thread" ;)
Literal translations are quite tricky, I would say something like "Wow! I'm amazed! I just come back from work and there it is! four pages!"

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 22:10
Mind your spelling! Is written "thread" ;)
Literal translations are quite tricky, I would say something like "Wow! I'm amazed! I just come back from work and there it is! four pages!" Thanks.

Buff, it's very difficult to me... I hope that in England I'll learn fast.

Erinna
04-sep-2012, 22:18
Thanks.

Buff, it's very difficult to me... I hope that in England I'll learn fast.

Difficult for me sounds better. And I would say faster, but it's just my opinion.

oriola
04-sep-2012, 22:21
I'm going to bed guys. My stomach is full of vegan lemon cake and chinese food.

I need to digest my birthday. :)

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 22:22
I'm going to bed guys. My stomach is full of vegan lemon cake and chinese food.

I need to digest my birthday. :) Fucking lucky man!! I want a bit of that vegan lemon cake!!! :eek:

nessie
04-sep-2012, 22:24
Fucking lucky man!! I want a bit of that vegan lemon cake!!! :eek:

I'll post the recipe tomorrow ;)

Metódico
04-sep-2012, 22:25
I'll post the recipe tomorrow ;) Do you have a monument? I can do it for you.

Erinna
04-sep-2012, 22:25
I'll post the recipe tomorrow ;)

May I have a serving? ;)

nessie
04-sep-2012, 22:27
May I have a serving? ;)

You could have a whole new cake if you wanted :p

Erinna
04-sep-2012, 22:31

So you ate it all, didn't you? You two sweet-toothers!

Jiza
04-sep-2012, 22:37
I can help too if you guys don't mind! :D

I need to practice my english as well... in a few weeks I'm doing a presentation in english for some partners and neither my boss nor other people in the company can actually talk to an audience because they are not good at english. I'm fucking scared >_<

nessie
04-sep-2012, 22:39
So you ate it all, didn't you? You two sweet-toothers!

Nooo! We ordered too much chinese food and after eating it we couldn't have more than two pretty small pieces of the cake.

Erinna
04-sep-2012, 22:41
Fingers crossed for you Jiza! Break a leg!

Crisha
04-sep-2012, 22:43

... if you wanted to/it...
I'd say, "if you wish" :)

Crisha
04-sep-2012, 22:45
I can help too if you guys don't mind! :D

I need to practice my english as well... in a few weeks I'm doing a presentation in english for some partners and neither my boss nor other people in the company can actually talk to an audience because they are not good at english. I'm fucking scared >_<

You'll be fine! no worries at all ;)

Dethvader
04-sep-2012, 22:46
in a few weeks I'm doing a presentation in english for some partners and neither my boss nor other people in the company can actually talk to an audience because they are not good at english.

I would say "speak to an audience". ;)

Crisha
04-sep-2012, 22:48
I agree ;)

Metódico
05-sep-2012, 11:03
I love this guys for practise my English! XD : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=dpOBU_HPfU8

xanne
05-sep-2012, 11:12
Oh! sorry, I forgot it. I want to go to Bristol to looking for a job. (:eing: is this sentence correct?)

Hey man! I'm in Bristol, it's been a year and a half! :cool:

Vegaña
05-sep-2012, 11:17
Hi Metodic and friends. :p

I want to practise my English too, I have been a few months working in the UK but my English needs lots of improvement, you know...

I signed up in this English phorum. Take a look http://www.veganforum.com/forums/forum.php

If someone wants to practise English with me, well, I can't do it perfectly, but at least... you know, we can talk and learn something of each other. :)

Kisses.

Metódico
05-sep-2012, 11:19
Hey man! I'm in Bristol, it's been a year and a half! :cool: yeah! maybe we can see us... for talk about something or whatever.

PD: if you want we can share our e-mails in a private message.

Erinna
05-sep-2012, 11:42
My body is so stiff that I want to cut my legs (and my arms, and my backside...)!

oriola
05-sep-2012, 11:43
My body is so stiff that I want to cut my legs (and my arms, and my backside...)!

All you need is love... I mean a massage :cool:

Erinna
05-sep-2012, 11:45
All you need is love... I mean a massage :cool:

:juas::juas:
Uhm... sounds legit!

Metódico
05-sep-2012, 11:45
All you need is love... I mean a massage :cool: Yes, this method is less drastic. :rolleyes:

Crisha
05-sep-2012, 11:46
mmm, Oriola, I think Erinna should explain first WHY her body is sooooo stiff... :cool:

oriola
05-sep-2012, 11:46
mmm, Oriola, I think Erinna should explain first WHY her body is sooooo stiff... :cool:

Are you suggesting a massage could NOT be the solution? :eek:

Metódico
05-sep-2012, 11:48
mmm, Oriola, I think Erinna should explain first WHY her body is sooooo stiff... :cool: No, no, no... first massage... always massage...:babas: in the future we'll see why. :p

Crisha
05-sep-2012, 11:48
yeah! maybe we can see us... for talk about something or whatever.

PD: if you want we can share our e-mails in a private message.

... maybe we can see each other...
Though in this example I'd rather use the verb "to meet". "Maybe we can meet" (or could, since it's something that so far it's not that probable).
;)

Erinna
05-sep-2012, 11:49
No, no, no... first massage... always massage...:babas: in the future we'll see why. :p

Hahahaha 10 points for Metódico!

Metódico
05-sep-2012, 11:51
Hahahaha 10 points for Metódico! Yes, my English is a bull shit but I am not idiot. :p

Crisha
05-sep-2012, 11:51
No, no, no... first massage... always massage...:babas: in the future we'll see why. :p

Yessss, it's true!! First massage, then the questions ;)

Metódico
05-sep-2012, 11:53
hahahaha. I love this fucking guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ejJmJLlT6k

Revenge!!! Revengeeee!!! hahaha.

Erinna
05-sep-2012, 12:01
hahahaha. I love this fucking guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ejJmJLlT6k

That's a great way to practise your listening :)
Have you ever been to UK before?

Metódico
05-sep-2012, 12:03
That's a great way to practise your listening :)
Have you ever been to UK before? I never have been in UK.

Crisha
05-sep-2012, 12:10
I never have been in UK.

So you have never been to the UK! You'll like it :)

Fawlty towers is a great series to learn English.

Erinna
05-sep-2012, 12:16
You'll love it! Green landscapes, cheap books... I'd go tomorrow!

Metódico
05-sep-2012, 12:22
You'll love it! Green landscapes, cheap books... I'd go tomorrow! *_* I hope to found a job soon. If all is right I will eat the world (Is it vegan? :hm: )

Erinna
05-sep-2012, 12:24
*_* I hope to found a job soon. If all is right I will eat the world (Is it vegan? :hm: )

I would say "take on the world", but I like your expression!

nessie
05-sep-2012, 12:25
You'll love it! Green landscapes, cheap books... I'd go tomorrow!

Is the UK a good country for buying vegan cooking books, then?

Maybe I will go there soon, and that is a very relevant information to me :p

Erinna
05-sep-2012, 12:28
Is the UK a good country for buying vegan cooking books, then?

Maybe I will go there soon, and that is a very relevant information to me :p

Yep, books are cheap and there are lots of charity shops with second-hand stuff at very affordable prices! Some of my veggie cookbooks cost 2 pounds :)

nessie
05-sep-2012, 12:31
Yep, books are cheap and there are lots of charity shops with second-hand stuff at very affordable prices! Some of my veggie cookbooks cost 2 pounds :)

I'm afraid no suitcase is going to be big enough for me...

Metódico
05-sep-2012, 12:34
How is the change pounds-euros?

nessie
05-sep-2012, 12:35
0,789 pounds = 1 euro.

paulveg
05-sep-2012, 13:29
I need to practice aswell, so see you here :) I´d actually need more conversation but writing is also good. I have already known things in this tread.

By the way, would you all say "first massage" meaning "Primero el masaje"? (What I understood you meant. Maybe I am wrong) I would say that if I mean "primer masaje", otherwise I´d say "massage first". But, I don´t have an explanation, it is just to know what yout think so I can learn.

Jiza
05-sep-2012, 20:03
I would say "speak to an audience". ;)

hmm, yeah I'm always making mistakes with speak and talk... silly me!! thanks for the correction! :D

sorry for posting so late I'm having so much work lately.

Oh btw I strongly recommend watching a BBC show called Horrible Histories (it's for kids!!!). It's hilarious :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXCIMmpETaA :bien::bien::bien:

Metódico
05-sep-2012, 20:21
Oh btw I strongly recommend watching a BBC show called Horrible Histories (it's for kids!!!). It's hilarious :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXCIMmpETaA :bien::bien::bien: It's a great idea. I can watch children's serials for two things:

-Learn

-Return to childhood. :bien:

Jiza
05-sep-2012, 20:35
It's a great idea. I can watch children's serials for two things:

-Learn

-Return to childhood. :bien:

and you'll learn some history in the meantime ;)

I'm reading about victorian etiquette for a tale i'm writing :D

Metódico
10-sep-2012, 19:02
What happen with it?

Come on, guys! Let's give life to thread! :D

Gatos.urbanos
10-sep-2012, 21:44
What happen with it?

Come on, guys! Let's give life to thread! :D

Sure, here we go. You are planning to go to Bristol, don´t you? You must check out about the so very famous Bristol pound.

Vegaña
12-sep-2012, 20:57
Hi.

I would like to tell you how was my experience in England last year.

I was there working as au pair in a vegetarian family (lucky me) for around seven months. At first I didn't speak a word, I was so brave because my English was completely bad.

In the beginning I was lazy about learning it. I mean, I was like feigning when I was with the family, but then in my room and in my mind I was completely "Spanishized".

I went to the supermarket and I tooked any product, and I looked for the instructions or ingredients in Spanish. I listened to my Spanish music in my phone. Each day, when I finished to work I came back to my Spanish world.

That was a big mistake, but I woke up. I made a Portuguese friend, and she spoke a good English. Our chats were so hilarious, because she barely understood me and I barely could express myself.

In my host house, with the children I looked after, I didn't put so much effort, it was always the same "eat that, please", "pick it up, please", "have you washed your hands/teeth?", "oh, seriously, do you think I'm the better au pair in the world?". But with my new friend I had to explain her my life, my thoughts, my dreams or whatever and that helped me lots.

We talked for hours, we laughed, we got on very well, we discovered a lot of beautiful places around there, we interchanged music... Well, believe it or not, I had never listened English music in my life. Now I'm listening to Patsy Cline, I met her there.

She made me change, my mind was in an English mode. I listened to lots of English music, to English radio (oh, my God, you can't imagine my excitation when I understood my first sentence in the radio), English movies with English subtitles (not Spanish any more). When I had to search something in Google I put it in English, I started to looove English. Yeah, I enjoyed it. I made lots of exercices in my host house (in that small town there wasn't any English lessons) and I was excited about it, listening, speaking, improving...

Well, I must confess I'm very thankful to my Portuguese friend. She was my Heidi and I was her paralitic Clara. She taught me how to walk and she left. We are in touch, and if I had have money I would be in Lisbon right now, you can believe me!

My friends visited me in London (7 or 8 hours by bus) and there are lots of Spanish people, I was shocked. Besides that, I didn't meet any Spanish, because I was in a small town. Although Newcastle was not far (less than an hour) and I knew that there was a lot of Spanish I didn't try to meet anyone. All by myself, you know? :D But yes, I got excited each time I heard a word in Spanish. Even when I saw a Santander bank. Or when I heard in the radio an advertisement of Porcelanosa. I have never been so patriotic.

My experience was very positive, I would do it again without doubt. I grow up a bit, I learned lot of things, I was far from home (I needed it) and I told me: "you could do it". Also, my kids were lovely and the whole family were very respectful with me. I can't complain.

I came back a year ago and I wanted to keep improving my English, because I know I didn't seize all I could (but it was OK, anyway). The family wanted me to be their au pair again the next year, but I was a bit saturated and I wanted a place crowder, where I could do lots of things, meet lot of people, go to English lessons and... Maybe as au pair, or maybe with a 'real' job. But then, my mind changed another time and I started to look in Italy, because I really wanted to know it.

When I have found a family (last Christmas), they wanted me to be their next au pair (they spoke English too, and well, the Italian is not a problem). They lived in the Alps (so, another small town) but they seemed so nice to me, so I was just about to say "yes, wait for me"... But... What happened? What? :D

Don't you imagine it? I fell in love with a marvelous person I met in this forum, so I can't leave him... at least at the moment! Because my mind always wants to fly a little bit.

Well, sorry for my long story... if anyone wants to correct my mistakes for me it would be a pleasure. And if anyone has any doubts I can follow telling you my life, I don't mind. :D

xanne
17-sep-2012, 20:01
Vegaña, such a nice experience!! I'm being all curious now, how did you find that Portuguese friend?

Metódico
17-sep-2012, 20:24
wow! I need more time in my life for participate in this threat :(

Dethvader
17-sep-2012, 20:28
"to participate" ;)

"threat" = amenaza
"tread" = hilo

xanne
17-sep-2012, 20:38
Metódico, you should try writing your day to day life, in order to improve your English. Look at that, somehow Vegaña did it! C:

Solalux
18-sep-2012, 19:06
"to participate" ;)

"threat" = amenaza
"tread" = hilo

Threat: amenaza
THread: hilo

diana_asturiana
21-sep-2012, 00:00
First of all, I must tell you that it has been years since I don't practice muy English. So it is sure I will have many mistakes ;)

I have been twice in the United Kingdom. First time, I spent one month in a little city placed in the south coast of Ireland: Cork. It was such a nice experience; I stayed with an Irish family and we used to speak about many things. They were really patient with me: I was only 17 and it was my first time far from home :)

One year later I spent another month in Edimburgh, Scotland. It really is a so charming city! Its old buildings, the fantastic park in the city center... I fell immediately in love with it. I hope I have enough money in the future to travel to Edimburgh again. Just one bad thing: the weather. It is always raining and quite cold. Well, I suppose that it is the price that must be paid in order to enjoy so beautiful landscapes :rolleyes:

Those were my only two experiences in other countries, out of Spain. They took place lots of years ago (my god, I'm getting really old :eing:), but I remember they were simply fantastic :p

Dethvader
22-sep-2012, 14:26
Threat: amenaza
THread: hilo

Thank you. :)

RollerFromHell
23-sep-2012, 20:29
First of all, I'd like to say that I find the idea of this thread rather interesting, especially after such nice experiences as those from Vegaña and Diana Asturiana. By the way, just like Xanne, I’m also curious about your Portuguese friend and how you managed to meet her (this is starting to look like a midday soap opera, but a good one at that :)).

I hope to find a little to free time to tell you a little about my summers in England many years ago, but in the meantime just a little quote I love from Chuck Palahniuk (best known as the author of Fight Club): “Just for the record, knowing when people are only pretending to like you isn’t such a great skill to have” - Diary

Vegaña
24-sep-2012, 11:19
:D

I'm so glad that you're interested in my story. For me it's a pleasure to tell you a little bit more:

How I met my Portuguese friend.

The parents of my host family knew that there was another family with German au pair in that small town, so they took me to that house, but the au pair arrived a month later.

So I was alone all that time, and when the German au pair should be in my town, I was so full of doubts... I didn't dare to go to that house, introduce myself, talk in English...

But one day I did it, and my surprise was that the au pair hadn't arrived yet, and she wasn't German, but Portuguese. It was such a good news for me, because Portugal felt like home, and Germany a little bit far away. :)

When the Portuguese au pair arrived, I went to her house and she was very happy to see me. She spoke Spanish (she studied in Granada) but we spoke in English all the time. Well, at least, I tried to speak it.

And then our adventure started: we went to the North Sea, to lots of surrounding towns, Newcastle, we were about to death in many occasions... Haha, she was crazy and me too.

By the way, if you're curious... I had a blog where I wrote my experience from the beginning. It's a bit funny. The soap opera continues here: http://chaupaira.blogspot.com.es/2011_01_01_archive.html

Metódico
24-sep-2012, 11:29
Hi.

I would like to tell you how was my experience in England last year.

I was there working as au pair in a vegetarian family (lucky me) for around seven months. At first I didn't speak a word, I was so brave because my English was completely bad.

In the beginning I was lazy about learning it. I mean, I was like feigning when I was with the family, but then in my room and in my mind I was completely "Spanishized".

I went to the supermarket and I tooked any product, and I looked for the instructions or ingredients in Spanish. I listened to my Spanish music in my phone. Each day, when I finished to work I came back to my Spanish world.

That was a big mistake, but I woke up. I made a Portuguese friend, and she spoke a good English. Our chats were so hilarious, because she barely understood me and I barely could express myself.

In my host house, with the children I looked after, I didn't put so much effort, it was always the same "eat that, please", "pick it up, please", "have you washed your hands/teeth?", "oh, seriously, do you think I'm the better au pair in the world?". But with my new friend I had to explain her my life, my thoughts, my dreams or whatever and that helped me lots.

We talked for hours, we laughed, we got on very well, we discovered a lot of beautiful places around there, we interchanged music... Well, believe it or not, I had never listened English music in my life. Now I'm listening to Patsy Cline, I met her there.

She made me change, my mind was in an English mode. I listened to lots of English music, to English radio (oh, my God, you can't imagine my excitation when I understood my first sentence in the radio), English movies with English subtitles (not Spanish any more). When I had to search something in Google I put it in English, I started to looove English. Yeah, I enjoyed it. I made lots of exercices in my host house (in that small town there wasn't any English lessons) and I was excited about it, listening, speaking, improving...

Well, I must confess I'm very thankful to my Portuguese friend. She was my Heidi and I was her paralitic Clara. She taught me how to walk and she left. We are in touch, and if I had have money I would be in Lisbon right now, you can believe me!

My friends visited me in London (7 or 8 hours by bus) and there are lots of Spanish people, I was shocked. Besides that, I didn't meet any Spanish, because I was in a small town. Although Newcastle was not far (less than an hour) and I knew that there was a lot of Spanish I didn't try to meet anyone. All by myself, you know? :D But yes, I got excited each time I heard a word in Spanish. Even when I saw a Santander bank. Or when I heard in the radio an advertisement of Porcelanosa. I have never been so patriotic.

My experience was very positive, I would do it again without doubt. I grow up a bit, I learned lot of things, I was far from home (I needed it) and I told me: "you could do it". Also, my kids were lovely and the whole family were very respectful with me. I can't complain.

I came back a year ago and I wanted to keep improving my English, because I know I didn't seize all I could (but it was OK, anyway). The family wanted me to be their au pair again the next year, but I was a bit saturated and I wanted a place crowder, where I could do lots of things, meet lot of people, go to English lessons and... Maybe as au pair, or maybe with a 'real' job. But then, my mind changed another time and I started to look in Italy, because I really wanted to know it.

When I have found a family (last Christmas), they wanted me to be their next au pair (they spoke English too, and well, the Italian is not a problem). They lived in the Alps (so, another small town) but they seemed so nice to me, so I was just about to say "yes, wait for me"... But... What happened? What? :D

Don't you imagine it? I fell in love with a marvelous person I met in this forum, so I can't leave him... at least at the moment! Because my mind always wants to fly a little bit.

Well, sorry for my long story... if anyone wants to correct my mistakes for me it would be a pleasure. And if anyone has any doubts I can follow telling you my life, I don't mind. :D Great! I want to do the same! Now I am watching english films and english serials with english subtitles... and, I am very slow! I must stop the film each time (how do you say "cada momento" in English?). :o

Dethvader
24-sep-2012, 11:32
"All the time" :)

Crisha
24-sep-2012, 12:24
Now I am watching english films and english serials with english subtitles...

I'd say "I watch..." instead of using the continous tense since it's somtehing you are currently doing on a regular basis.

I must stop the film each time
Must implied "obligation". I'd rather say "I need to stop the film all the time/very often" or "I keep stopping the film" (in this case, I think you don't need any time expression because "keep doing something" already gives that idea of continuity).

RollerFromHell
26-sep-2012, 07:27
Great! I want to do the same! Now I am watching english films and english serials with english subtitles... and, I am very slow! I must stop the film each time (how do you say "cada momento" in English?). :o

Maybe you can try attending a language exchange meeting, to be able to speak english with natives before you actually go there. The first times it's like listening to an endless flow of grunts where you suppose there must be words somewhere (but it’s just a supposition). In any case, series and movies are a good idea to get used to it too.

Vegaña, you have proved again that you cannot judge a book by its cover. I'll try to read the whole story from your blog (I guess it's like the 80's Batman and Robin series, where you almost die at the end of each chapter xD). I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience, let's hope it will be similar for Metodico

Metódico
29-oct-2012, 21:22
I'm very nervous because the travel time is coming. And my English is as bad as the begining! I didn't nothing to practise! jojojojjoojojjoj. XD

But I'm happy too. I like the changes!! Ok, it isn't true, I have been watching this serial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmdz6Y0e5-A

xanne
01-nov-2012, 14:58
I'm very nervous because the travel time is coming it is time to travel/ to flight/ to get the plane. And my English is as bad as the begining! I didn't nothing to practisepractice at all! jojojojjoojojjoj. XD

But I'm happy too. I like the changes!! Ok, it isn't true, I have been watching this serial TV show/ TV series:

-------------------------

When are you getting the plane? is it this month?

nekete
01-nov-2012, 15:24
Yuuuuujuuuuuu... ;]

I´m also going to England to learn english language. I still don´t know where exactlly. I suppose it will be London because of the work but I ´m still thinking about it.

I have chosen England to improve my level of english because I really love the british accent. I adore it.

I have been in England two times in my life. The first time I went to York with a group of spanish people to study english in a little school for fifteen days. It was very interesting because we were housed with english families.

And the second time was also many time ago, but I went alone to find a job a stay there for the rest of my life :] Well, "the rest of my life" was six months in London. The problem in this case was that I started to know a lot of spanish people and I couldn´t learnt so much as I wanted :(

And now I start again... England, get ready, here I come.

diana_asturiana
01-nov-2012, 17:03
Well, we are also thinking about travelling abroad; in Spain we don't find job anymore, it's quite exasperating...

We would like to go somewhere not too far away. An English-speaker country if possible. We'll see.

Nekete and Metódico, if you two find job easily, just tell us!! In some months you may have a great Spanish group living with you :bledu:

Nekete: when you write down nationalities you must use capital letters, as for instance: English, Spanish... And for saying "two times", use better the word "twice". Once = one time; twice = two times; and then, three times, four times and so on ;)

Gatos.urbanos
01-nov-2012, 17:10
Yuuuuujuuuuuu... ;]

I´m also going to England to learn english language. I still don´t know where exactlly. I suppose it will be London because of the work but I ´m still thinking about it.

I have chosen England to improve my level of english because I really love the british accent. I adore it.

I have been in England two times in my life. The first time I went to York with a group of spanish people to study english in a little school for fifteen days. It was very interesting because we were housed with english families.

And the second time was also many time ago, but I went alone to find a job a stay there for the rest of my life :] Well, "the rest of my life" was six months in London. The problem in this case was that I started to know a lot of spanish people and I couldn´t learnt so much as I wanted :(

And now I start again... England, get ready, here I come.

It usually happens that when you choose the UK for a better accent you find that not everybody speaks with a perfect accent over there. You find many cockney and geordie accents, among others. Unless you are sure of the place you are going to ( e.g. places around a good university) you have to be careful about accents. It usually happens also that in small towns or cities with good universities you find plenty of survival jobs.

nekete
01-nov-2012, 23:43
It usually happens that when you choose the UK for a better accent you find that not everybody speaks with a perfect accent over there. You find many cockney and geordie accents, among others. Unless you are sure of the place you are going to ( e.g. places around a good university) you have to be careful about accents. It usually happens also that in small towns or cities with good universities you find plenty of survival jobs.

Yes, I know it. But imagine there are an American and an Australian and a British talking each other.

Would you recognize their nationalities by their accents¿¿ I´m sure you would.

So that´s the accent I want for me. The British one.

Edit. I mean the standard accent. The Queen accent. The accent of the tv journalists.

nekete
01-nov-2012, 23:47
Well, we are also thinking about travelling abroad; in Spain we don't find job anymore, it's quite exasperating...

We would like to go somewhere not too far away. An English-speaker country if possible. We'll see.

Nekete and Metódico, if you two find job easily, just tell us!! In some months you may have a great Spanish group living with you :bledu:

Nekete: when you write down nationalities you must use capital letters, as for instance: English, Spanish... And for saying "two times", use better the word "twice". Once = one time; twice = two times; and then, three times, four times and so on ;)

Oh, for sure. I´ll tell my British adventure here...

So, do I have to say "I´ve been in England twice in my life"¿¿

Gatos.urbanos
02-nov-2012, 00:06
Yes, I know it. But imagine there are an American and an Australian and a British talking each other.

Would you recognize their nationalities by their accents¿¿ I´m sure you would.

So that´s the accent I want for me. The British one.

Edit. I mean the standard accent. The Queen accent. The accent of the tv journalists.

All right, I understand now what you mean in full. You want the kind of English language that is eclectic and alive and that is very nice.
The standard accent, the Queen´s English or R.P. ( Received Pronunciation) sounds wonderful but it is not so easy to find (sadly).

Anyway, I would recommend a visit to Ireland: the people are lovely, the accent sounds beautiful and they are not as cold and distant as the English.

nekete
02-nov-2012, 00:18
Can you recommend me a good dictionary Spanish-English¿¿

I always thought that the Irish accent was terrible to understand.

And do you know about that examinations called TOEFL and a few more... Do you know which one is the best or the most important or accepted¿¿

diana_asturiana
02-nov-2012, 18:09

And do you know about that examinations called TOEFL and a few more... Do you know which one is the best or the most important or accepted¿¿

About Irish accent, I suppose it depends on which part you go to. I've been to Cork, in the south coast, and people can be understood quite fine; but I met a man from the north and it was very difficult to me. He used to say something like "tree" and he wanted to say "three", so he had a really strong accent :eing: But it is true that Irish people are quite similar to us, here in the north of Spain.

I don't know much about official exams, but I can tell you that TOEFL is almost essential if you want to go to the United States, but no so important in Europe. It is a good exam, of course (a high level), but there are many others. When you arrive there you'll have the time to guess out which one is better for your plans ;)

And yes, nekete, you should say you've been to England twice in your life, for example :)

nekete
02-nov-2012, 19:53
About Irish accent, I suppose it depends on which part you go to. I've been to Cork, in the south coast, and people can be understood quite fine; but I met a man from the north and it was very difficult to me. He used to say something like "tree" and he wanted to say "three", so he had a really strong accent :eing: But it is true that Irish people are quite similar to us, here in the north of Spain.

I don't know much about official exams, but I can tell you that TOEFL is almost essential if you want to go to the United States, but no so important in Europe. It is a good exam, of course (a high level), but there are many others. When you arrive there you'll have the time to guess out which one is better for your plans ;)

And yes, nekete, you should say you've been to England twice in your life, for example :)

Oh, you are so nice. Thanks a lot, darling. ;]

Gatos.urbanos
02-nov-2012, 20:34

The Irish accent is terrible if you go into the country side, but in places like Dublin, for example, the accent is crystal clear and the people, lovely to the bone ( although men have huge ears ^^).

As for examinatios, I would recommend taking the Cambridge exams: Preliminary English Test ( or PET) which is level B1, or First Certificate (B2). They are goods exams and they are valid all over the world. With a First Certificate level you can go anywhere. I have some books for self study, if you are interested let me know .

As for the dictionaries, it depends what do you need them for, are you looking for a pocket dictionary, a big one, something with grammar hits? My favourite is Oxford but is is quite a big thing, not likely to be carried on you bag ^^.

Dethvader
02-nov-2012, 20:53
Anyway, I would recommend a visit to Ireland: the people is lovely, the accent sounds beautiful and they are not as cold and distant as the English.

The people are lovely. ;)

Gatos.urbanos
03-nov-2012, 14:45
The people are lovely. ;)

Corrected! Thanks a lot !

aupairlondon
11-nov-2012, 13:49
Well I have many nannies who are working in London looking to improve their English. It is an option

nekete
11-nov-2012, 13:59
Well I have many nannies who are working in London looking to improve their English. It is an option

only for girls?

sepul
17-nov-2012, 13:39
Hello everybody!!!
I need to practise my english too.

In my opinion, I think that if you want to go to England to learn English, it´s a common error go to London, because in this big city, there are a lot of people of differents countries, and the English that you can learn it´s not quite good as a pure accent English, as in other cities of the country, in where aren´t less foreign people and you can talk at everyhours with people who only speaks English. I´m sure that in London you will find a lot of Spanish, Italian, etc. people.

It´s difficult to find a job in other cities, but I think that it´s more interesting to learn English.
Anyway, the best method to learn a language is talking with local people.

I´m trying to learn English here in Spain, but it´s too difficult for me...

Ángela G
17-nov-2012, 16:56
At such times, I say: oh, how useful is to go to school. Improve my English is one of the few things that I love to study the Obligatory Secondary Education. :D

nekete
18-nov-2012, 00:17
(...)
It´s difficult to find a job in other cities, but I think that it´s more interesting to learn English.
Anyway, the best method to learn a language is talking with local people.
(...)

Yes, my friend, but if you can´t find a job you´ll have to return to Spain maybe in one month. I don´t think London is the worst place to learn English language, you can talk with local people there, you just have to find them.

I have already bought a dictionary. This one. I think it´ll be helpful for me. It´s not heavy and I´ll be able to carry it into my backpack.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-lxNKUs1UtEk/UKgXgemrZHI/AAAAAAAACEQ/4FmBy3YfNTs/s512/PHOT0298.JPG

I´ve been told about Birminghan, Manchester, Harrogate, Brighton, Crawley, Exmouth, Plymouth... Grrrrr, I have a big headache, I have to make a decision in the next few days.

Ángela G
18-nov-2012, 00:26
Yes, my friend, but if you can´t find a job you´ll have to return to Spain maybe in one month. I don´t think London is the worst place to learn English language, you can talk with local people there, you just have to find them.

I have already bought a dictionary. This one. I think it´ll be helpful for me. It´s not heavy and I´ll be able to carry it into my backpack.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-lxNKUs1UtEk/UKgXgemrZHI/AAAAAAAACEQ/4FmBy3YfNTs/s512/PHOT0298.JPG

I´ve been told about Birminghan, Manchester, Harrogate, Brighton, Crawley, Exmouth, Plymouth... Grrrrr, I have a big headache, I have to make a decision in the next few days.

People say that Brighton is a good city for vegans, but maybe you prefer a city where there are a lot of suculent fruits :D

nekete
18-nov-2012, 00:31
People say that Brighton is a good city for vegans, but maybe you prefer a city where there are a lot of suculent fruits:D

Even that it´s (Brighton) a very good place for gay people. I think England is not the best place to be a frutarian. :(

Ángela G
18-nov-2012, 00:48
Even that it´s (Brighton) a very good place for gay people. I think England is not the best place to be a frutarian. :(

Then you should probably looking for a beautiful place with a lot of things to see and to do, I think.
It's a difficult decision.

Malacara
18-nov-2012, 12:37
I lived in London and Edinburgh few years ago. They are quite different from each other. If I had to choose one to go back to live in again I´d probably pick Edinburg. London is amazing for a while, it´s very lively, fun, with an overwhelming cultural life but it can be very stressful, horrible expensive and it has a very uncomfortable public transport (to say the least). It´s advisable to earn lots of money and to live very close to the workplace to get the best of it. Edinburgh is, on the other hand, much cheaper, smaller, even walkable, very beatiful (almost magical), also very fun with much fewer foreigners (not a bad thing from a english-speaker wannabe point of view) and the local people are very kind and with an absolutely lovely accent (and not difficult to understand - Glasgow and the west coast is a completely different story). This info can be outdated though :D

Good luck wherever you finally head to.

nekete
18-nov-2012, 16:14
I lived in London and Edinburgh few years ago. They are quite different from each other. If I had to choose one to go back to live in again I´d probably pick Edinburg. London is amazing for a while, it´s very lively, fun, with an overwhelming cultural life but it can be very stressful, horrible expensive and it has a very uncomfortable public transport (to say the least). It´s advisable to earn lots of money and to live very close to the workplace to get the best of it. Edinburgh is, on the other hand, much cheaper, smaller, even walkable, very beatiful (almost magical), also very fun with much fewer foreigners (not a bad thing from a english-speaker wannabe point of view) and the local people are very kind and with an absolutely lovely accent (and not difficult to understand - Glasgow and the west coast is a completely different story). This info can be outdated though :D

Good luck wherever you finally head to.

Thanks for the information. But I also need to work there. Do you think Edinbourgh is a good place to find a job?

I´m waiting for one more information about the south,but I think at the end I´ll choose Crawley. It´s very near from London, just 49 Km, and 25 from Brighton.

Malacara
18-nov-2012, 22:56
Thanks for the information. But I also need to work there. Do you think Edinbourgh is a good place to find a job?

I´m waiting for one more information about the south,but I think at the end I´ll choose Crawley. It´s very near from London, just 49 Km, and 25 from Brighton.

I don´t know now but seven or eight years ago finding a job wasn´t really difficult. I managed to find quite a few while living there, however it seems to me that London was an even better place to work at the time.

nekete
21-nov-2012, 00:56
I´m very happy :]

Tic... tac... tic... tac...

nekete
21-nov-2012, 14:05
Bedforshire, I finally go to Bedforshire. Do you know something about that region?

Crisha
21-nov-2012, 14:08
No, sorry. Where in Bedforshire are you going?
Well Luton is nearly at walking distance :D

nekete
21-nov-2012, 14:14
No, sorry. Where in Bedforshire are you going?
Well Luton is nearly at walking distance :D

Yes, I´m going to a little place called Dunstable, it´s very near from Luton. It´s also near from Stanstead airport.

nekete
22-nov-2012, 01:25
I got 18 points in this test.

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/test-your-english/index.php

nekete
23-nov-2012, 17:33
Well, I finally got my ticket to travel to England for the next Sunday.

:]

Chaia
23-nov-2012, 19:07
Bedforshire, I finally go to Bedforshire. Do you know something about that region?

Oh yes, that going to Bedforshire is going to bed :D well, well, my dear, I should confess that I´ve never been to England, but I´d love to :p

nekete
24-nov-2012, 01:58
Oh yes, that going to Bedforshire is going to bed :D well, well, my dear, I should confess that I´ve never been to England, but I´d love to :p

Oh, really¿ So why have I been thinking that you used to live in England¿¿

Vegg
24-nov-2012, 11:51
I got 18 points in this test.

http://www.cambridgeesol.org/test-your-english/index.php

Test your English - Results

Well done for completing the test. Your score is 21.

Based on your test score, here is information about the Cambridge ESOL exams that might be most appropriate for you.

In order to improve your general English, you might like to think about studying for the Cambridge English: First (FCE) exam or the Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) exam.

Not bad, ins't????;)

Metódico
25-nov-2012, 09:37
wow! I´m here in Bristol now. It´s a craziness. The accent is so hard but I think that with time and hard work, I will learn fast.

See you!

Crisha
25-nov-2012, 15:29
wow! I´m here in Bristol now. It´s a craziness. The accent is so hard but I think that with time and hard work, I will learn fast.

See you!

good luck! getting used to the accent is only a matter of time, take it easy!!! ;)

nekete
25-nov-2012, 15:41

See you!

Telll us more. What about the weather¿ The food and its price¿¿ What about jobs¿¿

How long do you want to stay there¿¿ Have you checked the possibility of taking free classes¿¿

Good luck. Be happy.

nekete
26-nov-2012, 02:34
Finally¡¡¡ Here I am, in England. :]]

nekete
26-nov-2012, 18:43
Wow¡¡ Money is so expensive. I have changed five hundred euros and I´ve got just three hundred and seventy six pounds. It´s a very little money, isn´t it¿¿

There are floods I don´t know exactly where. It seem to be serious.

I´m living with two cats and one human (Charly, Henri and Mick]

Dunstable is really small, but nice and quiet... very quiet. Tomorrow I think I will go to Luton.

See you soon.

:cool:

Crisha
26-nov-2012, 18:45
waw, yes, it's very little money! :o England is not cheap at all... but you can manage as long as you keep yourself away from big cities ;) Train tickets are expensive too but the bus lines are quite good and connect many, many places.
Floods? be careful!

Imu
26-nov-2012, 22:57
Wow. Next year I would like to travel to the UK as well to see some friends (and have some of these delicious vegan chocolate cookies). How much do you spend more or less every week, nekete?

nekete
26-nov-2012, 23:35
Wow. Next year I would like to travel to the UK as well to see some friends (and have some of these delicious vegan chocolate cookies). How much do you spend more or less every week, nekete?

I arrived yesterday :D

nekete
29-nov-2012, 00:27
A little help... The Oxford English Dictionary (http://www.oed.com/).

xanne
29-nov-2012, 15:26
Welcome to Bristol Metódico, it's freezing isn't it? I hope you like showery weather, there's been an amber alert!

nekete
02-dic-2012, 17:16
Hi friends...

Let me show you the neighborhood where I'm living at the moment.

Welcome to...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_vZ8733DUPo/ULt8SnKRj7I/AAAAAAAACGE/v0ccyC2jSos/s640/PHOT0399.JPG

This is its website.

http://www.houghtonregis.org.uk/

A very quiet place. I think I' m the only spanish person around here, but I' m not sure.

And this is Charlie, one of the two cats which I' m living with ;)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-OItvagmQ7-U/ULt8SaW38-I/AAAAAAAACGA/mYkuvvJI--E/s640/PHOT0394.JPG

See you...

nekete
02-dic-2012, 18:41
What a big surprise. I´m watching "Red Dwarf V". I remember watching it many, many years ago when I was in London. But this time I can see it with subtitles, so I can practice more and better.

Don´t you think the subtitles in english while watching tv is a very helpful option¿ Do you know Red Dwarf V¿

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LAkgNzAAPSY/ULuQERUNrLI/AAAAAAAACHA/oMnCwv4PeR4/s640/PHOT0402.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rJM5ktHZngY/ULuQKEFDmqI/AAAAAAAACHI/fkyFcapikgQ/s640/PHOT0403.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6yhqfSg_8cg/ULuQT0vAGbI/AAAAAAAACHQ/Y3pZdQh6P3g/s640/PHOT0404.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hDQbxl57LbI/ULuQZMoXlhI/AAAAAAAACHY/65CXAKuZDbM/s640/PHOT0405.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GahMVbhkkh8/ULuQex64_OI/AAAAAAAACHg/unomtqXs3Sg/s640/PHOT0406.JPG

xanne
08-dic-2012, 20:01
I've noticed you're living quite near London, but you said that Houghton Regis is very quiet, didn't you? why did you choose that place and no other? I'm just being curious, you know xD

It's always useful to watch anything with English subtitles if you can! By the way, I don't know that TV show...

nekete
08-dic-2012, 21:39
I've noticed you're living quite near London, but you said that Houghton Regis is very quiet, didn't you? why did you choose that place and no other? I'm just being curious, you know xD

It's always useful to watch anything with English subtitles if you can! By the way, I don't know that TV show...

"That TV show", my friend, is a cult science-fiction comedy show that must be known for everybody in Egland as it started in 1988.

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/index.cfm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dwarf

Yeah, also Luton which is five miles from Houghton Regis must be a quiet town. I arrived here because I know somebody who knows somebody who lives here.

Alex Franco
16-ago-2013, 19:04
Is there any interest in reviving this thread? I want to practice my English too, and it would be awesome if we could help each other.

tralarí
16-ago-2013, 19:22
I have to do a Toefl exam in a couple of weeks so I will pleased to write on this thread as long as I'm at home.

PS: I thought Alex's post was wrong because I believed the correct form was "Is there any interest ON reviving..." (but it's not). Could someone recomend a link or something where I can check about this kind of prepositions?

Coccoloba
16-ago-2013, 21:05
Hi guys!

I will introduce myself. I am one of member of the spanish forum. I live in the Caribbean island on the way of the Sun. I never see this treath before, but i found really nice the opportunity to improve my english written, cause I need to. I always looking forwards to get in better, so I hope we can support each other :D

tralarí
06-sep-2013, 23:04
I have to do a Toefl exam in a couple of weeks so I will pleased to write on this thread as long as I'm at home.

I got a 101/120 :).

I didn't prepare the speaking part (I did simulations of all the others, but I thought: how could a machine correct my mistakes? So I didn't even open that part). Result: absolutly messy :o. You really need to prepare, at least a bit, to know how the procedure is.

Anyway, I'm defenitely happy with my score, so: :bien:

Crisha
07-sep-2013, 14:00
I got a 101/120 :).

I didn't prepare the speaking part (I did simulations of all the others, but I thought: how could a machine correct my mistakes? So I didn't even open that part). Result: absolutly messy :o. You really need to prepare, at least a bit, to know how the procedure is.

Anyway, I'm defenitely happy with my score, so: :bien:

Congrats!!!! :)

Coccoloba
09-sep-2013, 06:04
Cool! ;)

short message