Página 6 de 7 PrimerPrimer ... 4567 ÚltimoÚltimo
Resultados 51 al 60 de 69

Tema: b12 y algas

Mediocabrón proud member
    Mira veganauta, no sé si conocías este ensayo que se hizo un chico y lo envió a vegsource.

Obviamente no es un estudio científico, pero si individual. Con la credibilidad que esto tiene, pero bueno.

Hello Everyone,

Here is some info. I began working on at the beginning of this week. I hope you all find it educational and informative.

I am full support of John Coleman in the great majority of what he shares with us. Thank you John for bringing the actual data to us.

I will propose, however, that it is possible to maintain optimal B-12, homocysteine, and MMA levels on a pure vegan, predominantly (or potentially all) raw diet, without supplementation, if one consumes chlorella on a regular basis. I'll give three case histories and some recent articles to support my claim.

Case history 1 and 2. Husband and wife, both long term pure vegans, predominantly raw, having been 100% raw for several years at a time.

Both husband and wife had been raw vegans for well over 10 years. They were in their late 20's / early 30's at the time of this first analysis.

Husband: B-12, 327, Homocysteine 13 (reference range 5-15), MMA less than 0.4, where 0.4 or above is abnormal.

Wife: B-12, 288, Homocysteine 9 (reference range 5-15), MMA less than 0.4, where 0.4 or above is abnormal.

Several subsequent tests have shown that they have maintained healthy levels of all 3 since this time, 6 years ago. Neither have supplemented with any B12 or any animal products whatsoever. So here are two long term (about 20 year) pure, largely raw vegans with excellent B-12 status any way you look at it. They both continue to consume several types of algae, including chlorella.

Case History #3, myself. This is what Charlie requested some time ago.

First test: March 1999. B-12, 159, MMA 2.7, where 0.4 or above is abnormal. Poor B12 status.

All other parameters tested were super-optimal and I felt fantastic. Here is a copy of the note I wrote to myself regarding these lab values at the time I received the data.

"While these levels are clearly out of the "reference" range (for Fat, Toxic Americans), I have to wonder a little if there really is any problem. I have been a vegan for 11 years, mostly raw, and I feel fantastic, exercise a lot (Run 25+ M per week, Gym 2-3x per week) and I feel GREAT! No indications of anemia or neurological problems!! Nevertheless, I don't want to end up with any problems, so I will see what I can do about this."

I tested myself again in August of 1999 as a baseline for testing spirulina.

B-12 was 188 and MMA was 3.7, still out of range.

I consumed 1 heaping TBSP of spirulina every day for three months, and tested myself again in November of 1999.

B-12 was 156, MMA was 0.8 (that went down), and this time I tested my homocysteine, which was 17 (5-15 reference)

Conclusion: Poor B-12 status, but the drop in MMA was encouraging.

Because the MMA went down, I continued consuming spirulina and tested myself again in May of 2001. I wanted to give spirulina a totally fair change to work.

May 2001 data:

B-12: 457, wow! MMA 2.3 (reference range less than 0.4)

Spirulina is known to contain B-12 analogs, and my best conclusion is that this is exactly what I got in this situation. B-12 went up, but the functional indicator of B12 status (MMA) was still poor. If this was truly human active B-12, then MMA would be much lower.

My conclusion was that spirulina did not improve my B-12 status. I would also conclude from this that the B12 analogs in spirulina do not interfere with B12. If that were true, then my MMA would have been higher.

I really wanted spirulina to work, but I cannot argue with the facts that I collected. I started with spirulina, because it is well known, widely available, and relatively inexpensive. If it had worked, then I would have been able to tell others about my experience and recommend it to those concerned about B12.

From there I took some time off and was considering taking a B12 supplement. I stopped the spirulina and went back to my normal mostly raw vegan diet without anything else.

I was considering trying chlorella as the next step. I was also keeping in mind that the high homocysteine was damaging my blood vessels. Although with all else so good, I was not too worried, but still did not want to push things too far. I decided to try Vitamineral Green. It is a green food formula that contains several types of grasses, vegetables, and algaes, as well as probiotics. The plus is if that worked, then I would be able to tell people about my experience and recommend it. The downside is that if it worked, I would not know which particular ingredient, or combination of ingredients, were responsible for the changes. Again it had been long enough that my B12 status was poor, and I was not willing at that point to try item after item and be B12 deficient for potentially several more years.

So the plan was to try Vitamineral green (VMG) and if that did not work then I would take a supplement. As with anything else, I would always prefer to consume nutrients in food form as opposed to isolated extracted nutrients from supplements.

I got my lab work done again in August of 2002 to establish a baseline because I took some time off.

B12: 248 MMA 1.6 (<0.4 normal) Homocysteine 15.2 (5-15 reference range). I also got my urinary MMA (UMMA) tested. It is supposed to be below 3.8, and mine was 23.3, way too high.

I started consuming 2 heaping TBSP of VMG daily for one month.

September 2002:

B12: 294 MMA 0.3 (<0.4 normal) Homocysteine 13.6.

Wow! I had normal blood MMA for the first time, and homocysteine had come down a little in just one month.

I continued with the VMG.

November 2002:

B12: 418 Homocysteine 10.5

Hcy continues to decline!

December 2002:

B12: 333 Homocysteine 10.2 UMMA 6.0 Blood MMA: 928 (Reference 90-279) The lab I used started sending the MMA to another lab! So were are not comparing apples to apples anymore, but here it is anyway.

Hcy went down a little more, and UMMA went from 23.3 to 6.0, still just slightly above the reference range of 3.8, but a dramatic drop.

I kept consuming VMG for several more months, and got tested again in May of 2003.

B12: 324 Homocysteine 8.7 UMMA 6.1 Blood MMA: 607 (Reference 90-279)

That was it. I was very happy my Hcy came down to 8.7. Both MMA's were still just slightly high, but they came down a lot, especially the UMMA, from 23.3 to 6.1. UMMA is considered to be the most accurate indicator of functional B12 status.

So why do I think it was the chlorella? Good question.

A recent study done on raw food vegans in Finland found that chlorella may potentially contain human bioactive vitamin B12. This study examined the vitamin B-12 status in long-term adherents of a strict uncooked vegan diet called the "living food diet."

In the study, 21 long-term adherents (mean 5.2 y, range 0.7-14) of the "living food diet" were compared with 21 omnivores.
    The study revealed significantly lower serum vitamin B-12 concentrations in the vegans compared with their matched omnivorous controls.
    The vegans consuming Chlorella algae had serum vitamin B-12 concentrations twice as high as the vegans that were not using it.
    Six of nine vegans, that were not consuming chlorella, showed slow but consistent deterioration of vitamin B-12 status over a 2-year observation period.
    On the basis of these results, the researchers concluded that chlorella consumed in large amounts can supply adequate amounts of bioavailable vitamin B-12.

Researchers who have looked at chlorella itself directly have found human active B12 in it consistently. That would support this Finnish study, as well as my experience, as VMG contains chlorella.

[....]
    Es interesante cómo describe su evolución con los distintos "experimentos".

Animal humano Avatar de veganauta
    No lo conocía Mad, gracias por traerlo al foro. La verdad es que la chlorella tiene todos los números para ser esa fuente vegana fiable (y mínimamente procesada) de B12. Ya me lo había planteado, pero este post, me ha dado el empujón final para decidirme a experimentarla en mi mismo. Lo único que veo más comprometido será justificar tanta solicitud de análisis especiales. Si lo consigo, ya iré publicando los resultados del auto-ensayo en este mismo hilo.

Un abrazo!
    ...en el brezal, el rey Lear le preguntó a Gloucester: ¿cómo ves el mundo?, y Gloucester, que era ciego, respondió: lo veo con el sentimiento...
    ...lo veo con el sentimiento.

Usuari@ expert@ Avatar de JustVegetal
    ALGA CHLORELLA, ¿FUENTE FIABLE DE VITAMINA B12? - (17 de marzo de 2006)

http://www.unionvegetariana.org/ncon73.html

"Hola Julio, hace tiempo que te hice una consulta por correo sobre mis indices de B12 que estaban en aquel entonces muy bajos, así como mi homocisteína muy alta. Gracias a tus consejos conseguí encontrar un médico (hematólogo) que no me mirara como un bicho raro al decirle que soy vegana y he conseguido que me controle cada seis meses y me mande un suplemento de B12, con lo que he vuelto a los niveles normales de B12 y homocisteína. Te quería hacer otra consulta. He leído mucho sobre el alga chlorella y me estoy tomando unas cápsulas de Now. Se lo consulté a mi hematólogo y me dijo que podía seguir tomando el suplemento de B12 y esta alga. Ahora quisiera dársela a mi hija pues he leído un artículo de un médico japonés que la utilizó en clínica para unos niños alérgicos a lácteos con buenos resultados de crecimiento y desarrollo. Como mi hija es muy alérgica a proteínas lácteas, huevo y kiwi, me gustaría darle esta alga. Bueno mi pregunta es si puedo darle estas cápsulas de alga chlorella de NOW y qué cantidad. Ella tiene ya 8 años. Un saludo y espero tu contestación. Muchas gracias."
    ---

Hola. Me alegro mucho de que se solucionara tu problema, de verdad.

No conozco ningún estudio bien diseñado que demuestre que el alga chlorella mejore las reservas de B12, y por tanto la prudencia me aconseja no usarla (aunque un estudio indica que la B12 de esta alga sí podría ser aprovechable por el organismo [1]). Es importante tener en cuenta la opinión consensuada acerca de la no existencia de fuentes fiables de B12 en el reino vegetal. Lo dicen, nada menos, que:

* La Unión Vegetariana Internacional, texto en español: http://www.ivu.org/ave/b12sheet.html
    * La Unión Vegetariana Europea: http://www.european-vegetarian.org/l...-firststep.php
    * La Vegetarian Society del Reino Unido: http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html
    * La North American Vegetarian Society: http://www.navs-online.org/question.html
    * La Vegan Society del Reino Unido: http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/b12/
    * La Asociación Americana de Dietética (traducción al castellano con autorización expresa de dicha Asociación): http://www.unionvegetariana.org/ada.html
    * La Asociación de Dietistas de Canadá: http://www.dietitians.ca/news/downlo...paper_2003.pdf
    * La New Zealand Dietetic Association: http://www.dietitians.org.nz/assets/...itionPaper.pdf
    * La British Dietetic Association: http://www.bda.uk.com/Downloads/vegetarianfoodfacts.pdf
    * El Ministerio de Salud de Estados Unidos: http://www.health.gov/dietaryguideli...95/VARIETY.HTM

Si realizas una búsqueda en Pubmed (la base de datos de estudios científicos más extensa y completa) con la palabra chlorella, limitando la búsqueda a estudios aleatorizados y controlados (randomized controlled trial), que son los verdaderamente fiables, podrás comprobar que a día de hoy no existe ningún estudio serio al respecto.

En cualquier caso, ante la duda de si la B12 de la chlorella es (o se comporta como) un análogo de B12, yo te aconsejaría que no se la dieses. Pese a que un estudio sugería que podría ser una buena fuente[2], dos expertos discutieron posteriormente que eso fuera cierto, aportando buenos datos científicos en su argumentación [3] [4].

En cuanto a tu hija, si lo que te preocupa es su crecimiento o desarrollo, mi consejo es que te centres en una dieta variada y equilibrada (excluyendo los alimentos a los que es alérgica) y seguro que todo saldrá perfectamente, sin necesidad de recurrir a ningún suplemento. Una persona con alergia lo único que tiene que hacer es una correcta selección de los alimentos a los que no es alérgica. Y por supuesto, puede seguir una dieta vegetariana o vegana.

Espero haberte servido de ayuda.

Un abrazo.

- Julio Basulto, responsable de nutrición de la UVE

REFERENCIAS:

[1] Watanabe F, Takenaka S, Kittaka-Katsura H, Ebara S, Miyamoto E. Characterization and bioavailability of vitamin B12-compounds from edible algae. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2002 Oct;48(5):325-31
    [2] Rauma AL, Torronen R, Hanninen O, Mykkanen H. Vitamin B-12 status of long-term adherents of a strict uncooked vegan diet ("living food diet") is compromised. J Nutr. 1995 Oct;125(10):2511-5
    [3] Davis DR. Some algae are potentially adequate sources of vitamin B-12 for vegans. J Nutr. 1997 Feb;127(2):378; author reply 380. Disponible en: http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/127/2/378
    [4] Dagnelie PC. Some algae are potentially adequate sources of vitamin B-12 for vegans. J Nutr. 1997 Feb;127(2):379; author reply 380. Disponible en: http://www.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/127/2/379

Mediocabrón proud member
    Cita Iniciado por veganauta Ver mensaje
    No lo conocía Mad, gracias por traerlo al foro. La verdad es que la chlorella tiene todos los números para ser esa fuente vegana fiable (y mínimamente procesada) de B12. Ya me lo había planteado, pero este post, me ha dado el empujón final para decidirme a experimentarla en mi mismo. Lo único que veo más comprometido será justificar tanta solicitud de análisis especiales. Si lo consigo, ya iré publicando los resultados del auto-ensayo en este mismo hilo.

Un abrazo!
    A ver si voy al centro de salud, que creo que hay una médica vegetariana (me lo comentó Flex), y seguro que le mola ensayar conmigo xD.

Yo también me voy a autoanalizar.

La Chlorella hay modo de conseguirla vivita en lugar de comprimido?

Cita Iniciado por Mad doctor Ver mensaje
    A ver si voy al centro de salud, que creo que hay una médica vegetariana (me lo comentó Flex), y seguro que le mola ensayar conmigo xD.

Yo también me voy a autoanalizar.
    Bien!, obviamente cuantos más seamos más significativos serán los resultados...

La Chlorella hay modo de conseguirla vivita en lugar de comprimido?
    Ni idea (de hecho aún no he mirado cual, ni donde comprarla), pero he leído por ahí que tiene una membrana celular muy resistente, y que es necesario cierto proceso previo (calor, presión, pulverización u otros) para romperla y hacerla mínimamente digerible.
    ...en el brezal, el rey Lear le preguntó a Gloucester: ¿cómo ves el mundo?, y Gloucester, que era ciego, respondió: lo veo con el sentimiento...

Tengo un suplemento de Chlorella de la marca NOW, con la siguiente etiqueta.

Chlorella 1000 mg - 120 Tabs
    product image

* Green Superfood
    * 1000 mg
    * Rich in Chlorophyll, Beta-Carotene, RNA & DNA
    * Broken Cell Wall Algae
    * A Dietary Supplement
    * Vegetarian Formula

Chlorella is a green single-celled microalgae that contains the highest concentrations of chlorophyll known (60 mg/serving). Chlorella supplies high levels of Beta-Carotene, Vitamin B-12, Iron, RNA, DNA and protein.

The cell wall in this high quality Chlorella has been broken down mechanically to aid digestibility.

Nutrition Info

Serving Size 3 Tablets
    Servings Per Container 40

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
    Calories 10
    Protein 2 g 4%*
    Chlorella 3.0 g (3,000 mg) †
    Chlorophyll 60 mg †
    Each serving may typically provide the following naturally occurring
    nutrients:
    Beta-Carotene (as pro-Vitamin A 1.8 mg) 3,000 IU 60%
    Vitamin B-12 3 mcg 50%
    Iron 3 mg 17%
    Zinc 2 mg 13%
    RNA 90 mg †
    DNA 8 mg †
    * Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet.
    † Daily Value not established.

Creo que se entiende que por cada 3 tabletas, o sea 3 gramos, tiene 3 mcg de B12
    Yo no lo tomo como suplemento de B12 porque me parece demasiado bajo.
    Y saldría carísimo.

Cita Iniciado por JustVegetal Ver mensaje
    Es importante tener en cuenta la opinión consensuada acerca de la no existencia de fuentes fiables de B12 en el reino vegetal. Lo dicen, nada menos, que:
    (...)
    En cuanto a tu hija, si lo que te preocupa es su crecimiento o desarrollo, mi consejo es que te centres en una dieta variada y equilibrada (excluyendo los alimentos a los que es alérgica) y seguro que todo saldrá perfectamente, sin necesidad de recurrir a ningún suplemento. Una persona con alergia lo único que tiene que hacer es una correcta selección de los alimentos a los que no es alérgica. Y por supuesto, puede seguir una dieta vegetariana o vegana.
    Aquí el autor del texto se debe haber despistado, porque se contradice claramente.

Cita Iniciado por JustVegetal Ver mensaje
    Creo que se entiende que por cada 3 tabletas, o sea 3 gramos, tiene 3 mcg de B12
    Yo no lo tomo como suplemento de B12 porque me parece demasiado bajo.
    Y saldría carísimo.
    Pues eso del precio también es algo a tener en cuenta, ¿recuerdas cuánto te costo ese bote?... gracias por la info!

Cita Iniciado por veganauta Ver mensaje
    Pues eso del precio también es algo a tener en cuenta, ¿recuerdas cuánto te costo ese bote?... gracias por la info!
    Éste ha sido comprado en EEUU y su precio es mucho más barato, como la mitad que aquí, pero aquí rondaría 40 euros o más, son 120 tabletas de 1 gramo.

Con lo barata que es la B12!
    Última edición por JustVegetal; 29-sep-2009 a las 16:01

Mediocabrón proud member
    jajaja, hombre por comprimido sale más barato b12, yo de hacer el experimento sería con chlorella viva, para tomar pastilla, ya tomaría entonces b12 microbiana.

Yo es por la cosa de eliminar la pastilla del mundo vegano jejejje.

Página 6 de 7 PrimerPrimer ... 4567 ÚltimoÚltimo