Resultados 1 al 3 de 3
    No como pescado Avatar de Lusboy

Travelling alone

I don't know altogether if this sub-forum is an offtopic or not, but anyway I would like to post that in English, I feel to.

I have been thinking for several months the idea of travelling alone. For somebody that idea can be very exciting and interesting and for others this can merely be something to avoid...
    During an organised trip throughout three central Europe countries I decided I may attempt to go to Budapest. I'm self-confident about it but I still hesitate about some things and I would like somebody to give me a cue, if you have been to Budapest, better.

I would like to go in Easter for a week. I know there the weather is still cold and alike winter althought indeed it is spring.

First of all, I didn't say I am about to turn 19. Do you recommend me to travel abroad at this age? I am eager to travel alone...
    The second thing is the currency, would I have to carry a credit card? It could ease the purchases since this way I could prevent from converting the euros in changing stands...
    And the food, I am vegetarian but I hardly eat dairies nor eggs so I would sooner eat vegan food, is it easy to find these dishes there? I know magyar language doesn't have anything to do with any surrounding language and I don't know for sure if people there speaks English... I can get by so easy with English but there things swap...
    And the last one; from my city, Bilbao, there is no direct flight to Budapest so I would have to go via Frankfurt with a single airline. I've never go with stopovers so I am a bit lost with this... Can my luggage got lost while shifting from an aircraft to another?

See you and thank you in advance. I will ask if it occurs to me. Greetings.
    "Siento que el progreso espiritual nos demanda que dejemos de matar y comer a nuestros hermanos, criaturas de Dios (...)" Mohandas Gandhi.

Vegan Style ;) Avatar de VeganaAmericana
    Hey Lusboy, where are you from?

Usuari@ habitual Avatar de artemidora

Hi Lusboy

I know it's been a long time since you posted your message.
    maybe you're leaving for Budapest in a week.

I have an extensive experience with travelling alone.
    I started travelling alone at the age of 18. I had travelled with my school before, to central Europe as well.
    But the thing was a little different. i had travelled before with my elder sister to visit my uncle in sweden. so it wasn't such a big deal to do it this time on my own. and the second time in that year I visited a penfriend in denmark for one week, I stayed with her, she was my guide, so i wasn`t really alone.
    Maybe when I really went alone to a place without really knowing anybody there and staying in a hostel or something I was a little older than you. It wasn't really difficult, i was already used to trains and airports.

About making transfers at airports: i had some trouble in paris twice. But not that hard, really. It's only that i was travelling to the other side of the world and it was very tiring to be delayed.
    if by any chance you miss your plane, for example, if it arrives late at frankfurt, there is a counter devoted to taking care of passengers and to placing them in the next flight available. Even in the case that you had to stay one night, they will provide a hotel for you.
    Usually they know beforehand which passenger is going to miss his connection, so sometimes you find at the end of the corridor, when leaving your first airplane, some attendant in uniform to guide you to your next embarkment gate. But, if not, you may find it following the signals, it's usually really easy.

You shouldn't worry about your luggage. If you don't make it to your flight from frankfurt to budapest, your suitcase won't leave without you. They don't like the idea of having a suspecting suitcase without its owner on board, they're afraid of bombs, as you well know.

I haven't visited Budapest nor Hungary yet. I've read it's really beautiful.
    i've met a couple of hungarians who spoke spanish. most young people speak english, i think, they love pop music and american movies. but chances are most of them can speak german. If you've visited austria, i guess you've started already to love german.

Have you already planned your stay? are you staying at a youth hostel?

it's very beautiful and funny to travel on your own and doing things and going places as you decide in the last minute.
    But it's actually cheaper to travel with other people.

well, i think i'm going to send you a private message now.

see you and good luck
    artemidora
    Última edición por artemidora; 15-mar-2013 a las 01:40 Razón: se escurrieron un par de eses