Página 10 de 16 PrimerPrimer ... 89101112 ... ÚltimoÚltimo
Resultados 91 al 100 de 159

Tema: I need to practice my english. We can help each other.

Vegan Republic Avatar de Gatos.urbanos

Cita Iniciado por Metódico Ver mensaje
    What happen with it?

Come on, guys! Let's give life to thread!
    Sure, here we go. You are planning to go to Bristol, don´t you? You must check out about the so very famous Bristol pound.

Usuari@ expert@ Avatar de Vegaña
    Hi.

I would like to tell you how was my experience in England last year.

I was there working as au pair in a vegetarian family (lucky me) for around seven months. At first I didn't speak a word, I was so brave because my English was completely bad.

In the beginning I was lazy about learning it. I mean, I was like feigning when I was with the family, but then in my room and in my mind I was completely "Spanishized".

I went to the supermarket and I tooked any product, and I looked for the instructions or ingredients in Spanish. I listened to my Spanish music in my phone. Each day, when I finished to work I came back to my Spanish world.

That was a big mistake, but I woke up. I made a Portuguese friend, and she spoke a good English. Our chats were so hilarious, because she barely understood me and I barely could express myself.

In my host house, with the children I looked after, I didn't put so much effort, it was always the same "eat that, please", "pick it up, please", "have you washed your hands/teeth?", "oh, seriously, do you think I'm the better au pair in the world?". But with my new friend I had to explain her my life, my thoughts, my dreams or whatever and that helped me lots.

We talked for hours, we laughed, we got on very well, we discovered a lot of beautiful places around there, we interchanged music... Well, believe it or not, I had never listened English music in my life. Now I'm listening to Patsy Cline, I met her there.

She made me change, my mind was in an English mode. I listened to lots of English music, to English radio (oh, my God, you can't imagine my excitation when I understood my first sentence in the radio), English movies with English subtitles (not Spanish any more). When I had to search something in Google I put it in English, I started to looove English. Yeah, I enjoyed it. I made lots of exercices in my host house (in that small town there wasn't any English lessons) and I was excited about it, listening, speaking, improving...

Well, I must confess I'm very thankful to my Portuguese friend. She was my Heidi and I was her paralitic Clara. She taught me how to walk and she left. We are in touch, and if I had have money I would be in Lisbon right now, you can believe me!

My friends visited me in London (7 or 8 hours by bus) and there are lots of Spanish people, I was shocked. Besides that, I didn't meet any Spanish, because I was in a small town. Although Newcastle was not far (less than an hour) and I knew that there was a lot of Spanish I didn't try to meet anyone. All by myself, you know? But yes, I got excited each time I heard a word in Spanish. Even when I saw a Santander bank. Or when I heard in the radio an advertisement of Porcelanosa. I have never been so patriotic.

My experience was very positive, I would do it again without doubt. I grow up a bit, I learned lot of things, I was far from home (I needed it) and I told me: "you could do it". Also, my kids were lovely and the whole family were very respectful with me. I can't complain.

I came back a year ago and I wanted to keep improving my English, because I know I didn't seize all I could (but it was OK, anyway). The family wanted me to be their au pair again the next year, but I was a bit saturated and I wanted a place crowder, where I could do lots of things, meet lot of people, go to English lessons and... Maybe as au pair, or maybe with a 'real' job. But then, my mind changed another time and I started to look in Italy, because I really wanted to know it.

When I have found a family (last Christmas), they wanted me to be their next au pair (they spoke English too, and well, the Italian is not a problem). They lived in the Alps (so, another small town) but they seemed so nice to me, so I was just about to say "yes, wait for me"... But... What happened? What?

Don't you imagine it? I fell in love with a marvelous person I met in this forum, so I can't leave him... at least at the moment! Because my mind always wants to fly a little bit.

Well, sorry for my long story... if anyone wants to correct my mistakes for me it would be a pleasure. And if anyone has any doubts I can follow telling you my life, I don't mind.
    "Nadie está libre de decir estupideces, lo malo es decirlas con énfasis." Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Primer oficial Avatar de xanne
    Vegaña, such a nice experience!! I'm being all curious now, how did you find that Portuguese friend?
    ¡No es asunto suyo señor Spock, basta ya de intromisiones mestizas!
    Mind your own business Mr Spock, I'm sick of your half-breed interference, do you hear?

Paupérrimo Avatar de Metódico
    wow! I need more time in my life for participate in this threat

Vegano de Nivel Ocho Avatar de Dethvader
    "to participate"

"threat" = amenaza
    "tread" = hilo

Primer oficial Avatar de xanne
    Metódico, you should try writing your day to day life, in order to improve your English. Look at that, somehow Vegaña did it! C:
    ¡No es asunto suyo señor Spock, basta ya de intromisiones mestizas!
    Mind your own business Mr Spock, I'm sick of your half-breed interference, do you hear?

Usuari@ expert@ Avatar de Solalux
    Cita Iniciado por Dethvader Ver mensaje
    "to participate"

"threat" = amenaza
    "tread" = hilo
    Threat: amenaza
    THread: hilo
    "The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them, that's the essence of inhumanity". George Bernard Shaw.

"All the arguments to prove man's superiority cannot shatter this hard fact: in suffering the animals are our equals". Peter Singer

Niña cebolla Avatar de diana_asturiana
    First of all, I must tell you that it has been years since I don't practice muy English. So it is sure I will have many mistakes

I have been twice in the United Kingdom. First time, I spent one month in a little city placed in the south coast of Ireland: Cork. It was such a nice experience; I stayed with an Irish family and we used to speak about many things. They were really patient with me: I was only 17 and it was my first time far from home

One year later I spent another month in Edimburgh, Scotland. It really is a so charming city! Its old buildings, the fantastic park in the city center... I fell immediately in love with it. I hope I have enough money in the future to travel to Edimburgh again. Just one bad thing: the weather. It is always raining and quite cold. Well, I suppose that it is the price that must be paid in order to enjoy so beautiful landscapes

Those were my only two experiences in other countries, out of Spain. They took place lots of years ago (my god, I'm getting really old :eing, but I remember they were simply fantastic
    No tengo todo calculado ni mi vida resuelta,
    sólo tengo una sonrisa y espero una de vuelta...

Vegano de Nivel Ocho Avatar de Dethvader
    Cita Iniciado por Solalux Ver mensaje
    Threat: amenaza
    THread: hilo
    Thank you.

RollerFromHell

First of all, I'd like to say that I find the idea of this thread rather interesting, especially after such nice experiences as those from Vegaña and Diana Asturiana. By the way, just like Xanne, I’m also curious about your Portuguese friend and how you managed to meet her (this is starting to look like a midday soap opera, but a good one at that ).

I hope to find a little to free time to tell you a little about my summers in England many years ago, but in the meantime just a little quote I love from Chuck Palahniuk (best known as the author of Fight Club): “Just for the record, knowing when people are only pretending to like you isn’t such a great skill to have” - Diary

Página 10 de 16 PrimerPrimer ... 89101112 ... ÚltimoÚltimo