PDA

Ver la versión completa : What looks like a strawberry, but is white and tastes like a pineapple? A pineberry!

Alma_Animal
01-abr-2010, 14:42
What looks like a strawberry, but is white and tastes like a pineapple? A pineberry, of course.

(Source: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Pineberries-At-Waitrose-Spring-Fruit-Looks-Like-Strawberry-But-Tastes-Like-Pineapple/Article/201003415589194?lpos=Business_News_Your_Way_Region _6&lid=NewsYourWay_ARTICLE_15589194_Pineberries_At_Wa itrose%3A_Spring_Fruit_Looks_Like_Strawberry_But_T astes_Like_Pineapple)

http://news.sky.com/sky-news/content/StaticFile/jpg/2010/Mar/Week4/15589188.jpg

The freaky fruit is going on sale at selected Waitrose stores.

While the delicacy might look like a faded strawberry, it is said to have the exotic flavour and smell of a pineapple.

If the pineberry tantalises your tastebuds, you best be quick - they are only in season for the next five weeks.

The fruit, which has the same genetic make-up as the common strawberry, originated in South America where it grew wild.

It had been near to extinction until seven years ago when Dutch farmers saved it.

Now it is grown commercially in glasshouses, turning from green to white and is ripe when the seeds turn dark red.

Waitrose fruit buyer Nicki Baggott said: "Pineberries offer our customers the chance to add a new fruit into their diet and the berry's bright appearance can add an unusual decoration to sweet dishes.

"As the summer unfolds we won't be surprised to hear that our customers are inviting their friends over for pineberry pavlovas, punch or serving them up with yogurt for a lighter alternative."

:: A 125g punnet of pineberries will sell for £2.99 until April 13, and afterwards for £3.99.

lilith_bcn
01-abr-2010, 16:11
My first fear was if this pineberry was genetically modificated, but if grow up savage maybe I'll save money to go to the "selected" waitrose to buy one:p They're really beautiful!!!!!

veraloe
01-abr-2010, 17:55
It must be a sin eating such a beautiful thing. And if not, it should be! :D

Alma_Animal
02-abr-2010, 20:11
Well, as today is the 2nd, I can now reveal that this was an April Fools' Day joke for those living in England! He he... It was all made up! :D

Sorry but couldn't resist posting it!! :D He he he...

Xykyz
02-abr-2010, 20:51
Well, as today is the 2nd, I can now reveal that this was an April Fools' Day joke for those living in England! He he... It was all made up! :D

Ahaha! ok ok xD

veraloe
02-abr-2010, 21:31

:llora: I was about to search for it in my next holidays :llora:

Alma_Animal
02-abr-2010, 21:39
My first fear was if this pineberry was genetically modificated, but if grow up savage maybe I'll save money to go to the "selected" waitrose to buy one:p They're really beautiful!!!!!

Lilith, don't go to Waitrose looking for it!! :D :bledu:

lilith_bcn
03-abr-2010, 12:14
Lilith, don't go to Waitrose looking for it!! :D :bledu:

I hate you!!!!! :D

Maybe it's just a question of promote genetical modification with strawberries:bledu: They deserve it!!!!

Alma_Animal
03-abr-2010, 12:43

I hate you!!!!! :D

:jaaa: Ha ha haaaaa!!!

Alma_Animal
03-abr-2010, 12:48

Veraloe, I've just posted a list of ingredients and products to avoid which you might like to print and take with you when you go. There may be things you're unfamiliar with when you're there, so this list would be handy:

http://www.forovegetariano.org/foro/showthread.php?t=27695